Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Brilliant Pink Rose Shabby Chic Vintage Ceiling Tin

One of my favorite "new" surfaces to paint on, are vintage ceiling tins. I'm fascinated by their history and the special architectural details that each one has.

For this piece, I started out by adding a distressed border around the edges, making a frame for the rose. The outer edge in light blue, the inside edges are pale lavender. I put on a soft background of blue for my rose and once the design was started, I made some soft shadow leaves in the background. When the flowers, buds and leaves were finished, I added stems with some thorns going underneath the back of the main artwork.

My Pink Rose is done in acrylics and measures 12" x 12". It is available on my ETSY shop:

6 comments:

The Rose Cottage said...

Beautiful!!! I just love your roses :)

Ruth Welter said...

Thank you Lynn. I really enjoy painting them.

Lynda said...

This is gorgeous, Ruth!
xo,
Lynda

Ruth Welter said...

Thanks Lynda...

Sherry/Cherie said...

Ruth this is exquisite -- ceiling tins are a wonderful art form and you've altered this one beautifully!

Ruth Welter said...

Thank you so much Sherry...they are a great surface to work on.