Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Frozen Charlottes

Charlotte was going to the ball with her boyfriend Charles in an open carriage. Didn't listen to her Mom (some things never change...) and didn't take a shawl during a very, very cold German night....she died of cold that night while her boyfriend died of a broken heart....

That's the sad story behind Frozen Charlottes. Those small, white porcelain dolls that inspire artists everywhere...

"Charlotte print" by Jenny Holiday
From: "Every day is a Holiday"

The cute little dolls make beautiful angels or fairies, they come in many different sizes, and many times they are missing an arm or a leg which does not detract at all from their charm....

"Frozen Charlotte Reliquary" by Robin Dudley-Howes
From: "Robin's Nest"

"Frozen Charlotte under glass" Necklace by Robin Dudley-Howes

"Charlotte Bottle" by Lynda Zewinsky

As sad as the story is, I hope it has inspired you to create something beautiful this weekend....after all...

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club"
~Jack London~
1876–1916 American author who wrote The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and The Sea Wolf

Remember that you still have time to vote for your favorite artwork (previous post). Winner will be posted on Monday. Thank you so much to all of you that have taken the time to vote!.. I'm not posting your comments because I would like the winner to be surprised!

7 comments:

debi @ life in my studio said...

Marcela, thanks for sharing the story of the Frozen Charlotte...I did not know that. Now I'm intrigued.
I'm off to create something.
Hugs, Debi

The Chateau of Remnants said...

Very Coll story.. Had no clue! and Now I do :) I love the Charms..

{ttfn}
Renee

robin dudley-howes said...

Thank you for posting my charlotte pieces. That was very sweet of you. I am obsessed with those magical little creatures and will be teaching how to make the reliquary at Piecemakers in Costa Mesa June 27.

This blog is very pretty!
robin

Jade Creative said...

Did not know of this storey.
Fabulous projects.
Have a wonderful day.
Darlene

Heart2Home said...

Marcela,

Can you add my blog to the Cottage blogs list?

http://heart2homepromo.blogspot.com/


Thanks!

Stacy

Etsy Cottage Style Member

Shiningwoman, freelance artist said...

Silly, me, I thought frozen charlotte was a dessert! Please add my blog to your list.
shiningwoman.blogspot.com

casey/shiningwoman

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Thanks so much for sharing the story behind these cute little dolls!
Hadn't heard it before, very interesting!!
*hugs*
deb